USB Wifi Adapter Installation on the BeagleBone Black

UPDATE 7/18/2014: We’ve had such a passionate response to our original BeagleBone WiFi installation tutorial that we’ve created updated instructions and troubleshooting tips for the latest Linux Debian release. You can find the updated tutorial¬†here.

The Logic Supply UWN100 and UWN200 Compact USB Wifi Adapters are great for use with the BeagleBone Black. These adapters are based on the relatively new Ralink/MediaTek MT7601 chipset, so drivers are not widely available yet. This tutorial provides step-by-step instructions for downloading and installing the drivers.

Tutorial: Compact USB Wifi Adapter Installation on the BeagleBone Black

Find out more about the current state of BeagleBone development: New Embest Board Opens the Door for BeagleBone Black Projects

LEARN MORE ABOUT THE
BEAGLEBONE BLACK

UWN200 with BBB enclosure

UWN200 Compact USB Wifi Adapter shown with BeagleBone Black enclosure

For more BeagleBone Black tutorials and information, visit http://inspire.logicsupply.com/

LEARN MORE ABOUT THE
BEAGLEBONE BLACK

About Roland Groeneveld
Roland Groeneveld is the President & CEO of Logic Supply. He has been with the company, since, well the beginning. He and Lisa founded Logic Supply in 2003 shortly after VIA introduced the Mini-ITX form factor in 2002.
This entry was posted in BeagleBone Black, How To, Linux, Networking, Products and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to USB Wifi Adapter Installation on the BeagleBone Black

1. Teis Draiby says:

To create a wireless hotspot with the BeagleBone Black, a wifi adapter that supports “Access Point” mode is required (see http://elinux.org/RPI-Wireless-Hotspot).

Does the MT7601 chipset support the Access Point mode?

thanks, Teis

2. Roland Groeneveld Roland Groeneveld says:
    Logic Supply

Yes, the Mediatek 7601U chipset supports Access Point mode. We haven’t tested it but it should be possible to make it work. The latest driver can be downloaded from the Mediatek website.

3. Teis Draiby says:

Thanks, great. Order placed.

4. Adam says:

I cannot get the installation instructions to work (either method) on the latest Angstrom distribution on a BeagleBone Black. Any modifications to the procedure? I have the latest driver from the Mediatek site downloaded. Thanks!

5. Roland Groeneveld Roland Groeneveld says:
    Logic Supply

Hi Adam,

The latest Angstrom distribution already has the drivers for the UWN100 and UWN200 loaded in the image by default. So you should not need to install the drivers again. Hope this helps.

6. Adriana says:

Hello, i cant get mine to work i was able to do all the steps but when i disconnect the ethernet and im going to test it it doesnt tell me i have internet connection.

7. Roland Groeneveld Roland Groeneveld says:
    Logic Supply

If you followed the instructions and it still does not work, it likely is a problem with Wifi security (encryption settings, passphrase, etc) . You may want to test with a different Wifi Access Point, preferably with a straightforward SSID and passphrase.

8. Rushi Desai says:

Is there any plan to get this driver into mainline kernel? Also, has anyone built this for Debian 7.2?

9. laborer says:

>http://www.mediatek.com/_en/07_downloads/01_windows.php?sn=501

Link is broken. And I can’t find MT7601 product on Mediatek site

10. Roland Groeneveld Roland Groeneveld says:
    Logic Supply

Thank you for pointing this out. MediaTek recently changed their website. Here is the new link: http://www.mediatek.com/en/downloads/ – search for MT7601U for the linux driver.

We also fixed the link in the tutorial.

11. Colin Bester says:

I was wondering if anyone has uwn100/200 working as AP on beaglebone black with debian OS – I’d sure appreciate some assistance in getting this working.

Colin

12. Craig Johnson says:

I am interested in buying the UWN200 for my beaglebone black, however I would like to know if it will support ubuntu 12.04. The tutorial is for angstrom as well as debian, however it doesnt mention ubuntu 12.04. I know the two are very similar but i thought it would be worth asking. So my question is will it work with the same instructions as on the tutorial or should i look for another?

13. Casey Atherton says:

Hi Craig,

As you’ve seen, we have only tested on the Angstrom and Debian distributions (I have also installed it on Ubuntu 13.10, on an x86 system, though). That said, since the source files for the drivers are available, I am fairly confident it will be possible to get it working.

Here is a link to a post of someone who was successful with it:

14. Josue says:

Hi I am trying to install it on my Beaglebone under Debian but I need some help. After the “make all” I get no errors but, there are no MODULE, UTIL or NETIF directories.

To get it to compile I had to download “linux-headers-3.8.13-bone40_1.0precise_armhf.deb” from http://rcn-ee.net/deb/precise-armhf/v3.8.13-bone40/ instead of kernel-dev since apt-get couldn’t find it. I also had to comment out the include directive in timex.h because there is no mach/timex.h.

Actually I found mt7601Usta.ko in os/linux/ and used it and it works. I can connect to wifi. My problem is that I am trying to set it up as an access point and it says that the driver is invalid so I guessed that to get it to work I should use one of the others (netif or util).

Thank you for your help.

15. Casey Atherton says:

Josue

The driver would need to be compiled with AP mode support. I have not tested or tried that, so I can’t say if that is easy or possible. Might be as easy as editing the config file to include that support, but probably not.

16. Heiko Goes says:

I would like to use the uwn100 as a access-point on my beaglebone black Debian.
    Unfortunately hostapd complains of a missing driver. I looked at the internet, but found no solution; only people with the same problem. What am I to do?
    P.S. The adapter works well for connecting to other access-points.

17. Casey Atherton says:

Heiko

As mentioned above, the driver that is included does not have AP support built in. Unfortunately, we don’t have any further information on whether it will work or not.